Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Dearest Susan


Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend my very first funeral. It was for my dear friend Susan Marie Turley who passed away on December 5, 2008 after a five month battle with cancer. I met Susan when we were both in sixth grade. We were kindred spirits from the beginning. I was having a very hard transition into middle school as all of my friends were attending Pueblo and I was in Aprende's boundaries. I was shy, nervous, and very sad. I'll never forget the loving smile and heartfelt friendship that awaited me in those Pod A classes. Susan was there to lift my spirits and accept me immediately. A bond was formed. There we were in all of our permed hair and braces glory...twins from the start. Our birthdays were one day apart, we shared the middle name Marie, and we were both deathly afraid of hair (or hairphobic as I like to say). We were meant for each other! We spent those glorious years together laughing and being absolutely silly with another dear friend, Lauren. We dressed in outrageous costumes and quoted movie lines as we performed in class assignments and well just for each other as we laughed and thought we were the funniest people in the world. I remember one class we shared with Mrs. "shhh" Swan. We called her that because her sentences were sprinkled with shushing as she tried to control our constant need to talk and laugh! We had an assignment in her class that many felt we did not receive enough time to complete so, being the very smart and politically minded people we were, we signed a petition for more time. The incident ended in a loud and furious lecture and Lauren, Susan, and I hiding under the table. There was never a dull moment when we were all together and we often parted with aching stomachs and sore cheeks. Susan brought light and laughter to all those around her. She was loved and adored by all of our teachers and all of our class members. She was a strength to me in those early years of our friendship and that love continued for the years to follow. Susan always stood as an example. She never followed the crowds, but lead as a true disciple of Christ. Susan fought a good fight, and as was shared at her funeral, she won her race. I can't help but feel excited for Susan, while we are left to miss her dearly, she is in paradise with loved ones long gone from this world and with a perfect knowledge of all that we are working so hard to obtain in this short probationary life. Although it's hard to say goodbye it's more of an "I'll see you soon". Some say only time can heal wounds, but really only Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ can as we reach out to them and ask. Susan has taught me a lesson that I knew, but did not really grasp. Life is short, you must take in every second as if it was your last, and most importantly...you must live today as if you will soon enter the Lord's presence. Rather than "eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" we must "feast" upon the words of Christ, "quench" our thirst with living waters, and "rejoice" in Christ that we may all be prepared on the day we shall also pass from this life to the next. I love you forever Susan and thank you for your pillar of strength and shining example.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

that was very sweet. Friends like that ARE family and never forgotten. Thanks for sharing.

G Gang said...

Jessica, I knew Susan also. Not as well as you did. Her father was my Bishop in the singles ward and I came to love that family very dearly. I have kept in contact with the Mortensens and was following Susan's blog as well. It was sad to hear about Susan's passing but as you said, her journey here on this earth has ended and she is on to bigger and better things. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know. - Katie

Terri said...

What a beautiful, well-spoken tribute to your friend!