Tuesday, April 3, 2012
April 2nd
For FHE last night we decided to deliver Easter goodies to our neighbors. We put candy in plastic eggs and placed them into cartons with a print out that said, "you've been egge'd Happy Easter!" I tied it together with a "Lamb of God video". It was a wonderful experience! One neighbor who we've come to be friends with, and who had served as a pastor for many years with her husband, was very grateful and invited us in to chat. I think she enjoyed the company. She gave me a big hug and we planned our trip to the Easter Pageant, which we had previously invited them to and had talked about. We are super excited to attend with them! We said a quick hi and delivered two more, and then came to our next door neighbor who moved in a few months ago, and whom we've never met. She answered the door and after I said a quick "hello, we're your neighbors and just wanted to wish you a happy Easter" I could tell she didn't speak English. She motioned for us to wait and went and was talking to someone on her phone. She handed it to me and in broken English said it was her husband. I said "hi, this is Jessica your neighbor, we just wanted to give you some Easter treats. I'm going to give you back to your wife now." I handed the phone back and she talked for a minute and then disappeared around the corner. We stood there not knowing what to do. She came back around the corner and I tried to usher Emmie forward to give her the gift. Instead our neighbor handed out some money. It was at least a $20. I waved me hand "no no!! This is for you!" as I scooted Emmie closer and motioned for our neighbor to take the gift. Our neighbor put her hand on her chest and looked stunned. She gasped and took the gift then with a lit up face exclaimed, "my baby, my baby!" and went to get her baby, who she brought to the door to show us! She told us in a little better English, but still broken, that he was 6 months old and after I asked his name she responded, "Jayden". She motioned for Lyndie's age, which I told her, and then held up four fingers. "yes, I have for children," I responded. She smiled, I asked if she was speaking Chinese and she said, "No, Korean, not so good English" I told her she was doing fine and we said our goodbyes. She was thrilled. It was a special experience. What started off as a confused and perhaps a little worried neighbor ended as a dear friend. I just wish we could communicate better! We stopped by the last home, a family who lives around the corner and visits quite frequently. They have two boys, Clark and Grant who are Mae and Lyndies' ages. She stops by unannounced and has play dates at least once a week, but I can tell she loves the company and is thrilled to have someone to talk to, and kids to play with. She was also very grateful for the gift and invited us in for a few minutes to play. Then today she brought us an Easter gift, some delicious candied pecans. What special experiences we can have as we reach out to our neighbors! We had a fabulous evening!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment