Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Appedicitis
What an adventure. Sunday evening (9th) we were getting the kids ready for bed and had just finished family scripture and prayer when I started to feel quite sick. I felt as if the flu was overtaking my body. That quickly changed into a full scale abdominal war that promptly centered it's attack in my lower right side. Stabbing pain leaving my unable to talk in smooth sentences. Being the ever-conscience worry wart that I am, I had previously studied the symptoms of appendicitis and recalled that these were indeed indicative of what I would experience in such a case. Following much debate and justification it was decided I needed to go someone, somewhere, as this was clearly not subsiding and there is no way I would be sleeping. We loaded up the kids and grabbed a few things in between bouts of groaning and white-faced shrieks. We stopped at the Urgent Care in Maricopa that was closing in 5 minutes and quickly determined the hospital was probably the best route. I told Adam to pray and decide if we should continue on, he said, "I don't even need to pray to know that the hospital feels right." So on we went. Driving that long stretch of desert was rough. I could barely sit without clenching my fist and muffling the pain. Benton serenaded me with Christmas and Primary songs to keep my mind busy. I then asked him to offer a prayer, which he did. He prayed that the hospital would take my pain away. My parents met us at the ER entrance at Chandler Regional and whisked the kids away to sleep at their house. I am so thankful for their willingness to care for and serve our family. I approached those foreboding sliding glass doors and as soon as breached the threshold my pain diminished...drastically. It went from a 10 to a 2 in a matter of seconds. The hospital had taken my pain away. Literally. Miraculously. My little boy's prayer had been answered in a very real, very tangible way. I could even joke and smile as I checked in, waited, was looked at, waited, had a CT scan, and waited some more. I was informed that my symptoms clearly pointed to appendicitis, but the staff was baffled as to why I wasn't punching someone because of pain. They wondered if it had already ruptured. Upon reading and discussing my test results it was determined that an appendectomy was in my near future. It had not ruptured, but I was clearly in the early stages of appendicitis. Again they were amazed I was in no need of pain medication. I finally received a room at 3:30 am and tried to rest unsuccessfully as there was still so much bustle on the other side of my curtain door. After little sleep I was whisked away to surgery at about 1. Adam had not returned so we waited outside the OR so I could see him before I was put under. I had insisted. I wanted a blessing. Adam made it just in time. He pulled the curtains around my bed, placed his hands on my head and offered a blessing through the power of the priesthood that I would be healed, that the surgeon would be guided, and that I would have comfort. I felt peace wash over me. I went to sleep peacefully and awoke in recovery. I had been blessed yet again. I spent that night recovering in the hospital, yes it was painful, but nothing serious had happened and the issue had been detected early. I would heal and was able to return home to my five beautiful children. What a whirlwind. What a lesson in faith and an example in the power of prayer. I know that prayers are answered and that faith is a very real power.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment